SHiFT Accessibility Statement
At SHiFT, we're committed to making our website accessible to everyone. We regularly test our site to identify usability issues and improve accessibility. Current accessibility features include:
- Alternative text for appropriate images and other non-text elements
- Title attributes for information about links and browser windows
- Structural markup to indicate headings and lists to aid in page comprehension
- Association of forms with labels
- Association of all data cells in a data table with headers
We are continuously improving our website and working to make it more accessible. If you have any suggestions or questions regarding the accessibility of this site, please contact us.
Using SHiFT with a Screen Reader
Create an Account
To enjoy all of SHiFT's job search and employment tools, you need to create an account. You can create an account as a business here: https://shift.disabilityin-gkc.org/business-signup. You can create an account as a job seeker here: https://shift.disabilityin-gkc.org/seeker-signup. After you have registered, you can add a resume, edit your profile, and match and apply for jobs.
To create an account on SHiFT:
- Visit the SHiFT home page at shift.disabilityin-gkc.org
- Click on I Need a Job or I Need an Employee and navigate the homepage accordingly (please note: the homepage is built using AJAX, meaning each button you click will add new information to the homepage). Or, click on Create an Account in the top right corner and select Business Signup or Job Seeker Signup.
- Complete all text boxes in the Create your Account form and click the "Save" button.
- Upon successful submission you should be redirected to a new page outlining that you have signed up and will receive a verification email shortly.
- If there are validation errors on the page, the page will be refreshed and an error summary outlining the erroneous fields will appear. To fix the fields you need to go back to the outlined field that contains the error, correct the error and then re-submit the form.
- To confirm your account, you need to click the link in the email that you will receive to verify your email address.
Your Settings contain a collection of professional and personal details that is used to match you to jobs opportunities and job seekers.
For Job Seekers:
Once you've created your account you can enter your profile details, experience, education and information. This information is organized into tabs that can be edited independently, labeled My Information, Profile and Matching Criteria. Upon your first visit to your account, SHiFT will guide you through these tabs. If you want to make changes to your profile later on, skip to the Settings page in the main navigation and select the tab with the profile information you want to change. Complete your changes and click the "Save" button when you are done making your changes.
Uploading Your Resume
You are encouraged to complete your profile information in the Profile tab in the Settings page (mentioned above). However, if you have an existing resume, you can upload an existing resume to SHiFT so employers can view and print it. In the Profile tab in the Settings page, click on the upload resume button. Browse for your resume file on your computer and then click the upload button.
Find Your Job Matches
- On any page in the site, skip to the Matches page in the main navigation.
- Jobs you match highly with will be listed on this page by the match percentage and job title. To alert a business that you are a qualified candidate, you must view more details of the job by selecting the respective 'View Job Details' link.
- After clicking the 'View Job Details' link and reviewing the job description and requirements, you may notify a business if you can meet the requirements and are interested in the job by selecting the 'Interested and Agree' option in the drop-down box at the end of the job details and clicking the 'Interested and Agree' button that appears below. This drop-down box appears below the text that reads 'I agree that I am able to meet or exceed the above job requirement and that I am interested in pursuing this match.'
- You can also decline a job match by selecting the 'Not interested' option in the drop-down box at the end of the job details and clicking the 'Not interested' button that appears below. If you select 'Not interested', the business will not be alerted that you matched with the job.